102-17 (GRI )
Mechanisms for advice and concerns about ethics
Related Material Themes:
Suzano has an external and independent Ombudsman Channel available to the company’s internal and external stakeholders. This channel receives reports on:
- violations witnessed in the business environment and related to the guidelines and behavior set out in the Code of Conduct;
- violations of ethics, human rights, laws and regulations to which the company is subject;
- violations of internal rules and procedures, and can also be used to answer questions regarding the Code of Conduct or related to unforeseen situations.
The channel is managed by our Ombudsman area and follows two internal policies:
- Ombudsman Policy: sets out the guidelines of the process and governance on the operation of the area and of the Ombudsman Channel regarding compliance with applicable legal and normative provisions, and sets out the guidelines of internal regulations and codes, including the adoption of specific procedures for protecting the whistleblower and confidentiality of the information;
- Policy on Disciplinary Measures: sets out guidelines and defines principles, concepts and criteria for applying disciplinary measures to Suzano employees.
Unethical or incompatible behavior with current legislation, as well as issues related to organizational integrity and human rights are escalated to the Company’s Conduct Management Committee, the company’s last resort to decide on controversial situations and possible infractions and violations of the Code of Conduct. This governance model helps us to make impartial and transparent decisions, helping to solve unanticipated ethical dilemmas and ensuring uniformity in the criteria used in the solving similar cases. In addition, the model determines, when so required, the adoption of the necessary measures, by issuing a formal opinion to the relevant areas of the company, in order to ensure that infractions and violations are followed by applicable disciplinary measures, regardless of hierarchical level, without prejudice to the applicable legal penalties.