Ensure local and territorial development in a joint and participatory manner, in partnership with communities, support institutions and social movements, based on education, income generation and cultural appreciation projects; the strengthening of the relationship with local and traditional communities; and the integration of the interests of these different links in running and managing the company.
- Agente do Bem Program
- Average monthly income per family participating in income generation programs (R$)
- Average time frame for handling customer complaints, in number of days
- Colmeias (Hives) Program
- Company funds obtained through reimbursable financing (R$)
- Compliance index of the annual dialogue program
- Description of significant indirect economic impacts
- Development and impact of investments in infrastructure and services offered
- Fishing communities
- Funds invested in initiatives to support society in mitigating the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic (R$)
- Handicraft Program
- Incidents of violations involving rights of indigenous peoples
- Main complaints filed by the communities
- Management of private social investment
- Management of social impact
- Management of the relationship with indigenous and traditional communities
- Management of the relationship with local communities
- Number of associations accessing public policies
- Number of associations participating in the engagement processes
- Number of complaints received
- Number of events related to Suzano’s activities
- Number of families directly benefited by social and environmental programs
- Number of operations under implementation/development that are in the consultation phase with the local community
- Number of people benefited by Suzano’s social programs
- Operational Dialogue
- Operations with significant potential impacts or actual negative impacts on local communities
- Participation in forums for social participation and public policy management
- Percentage of operations that require consultation with the local community
- Percentage of operations with implemented local community engagement, impact assessments, and/or local development programs
- Projects with indigenous communities – Ofayé Sustainability Program (PSO)
- Projects with indigenous communities – Tupiniquim Guarani Sustainability Program (PSTG)
- Projects with indigenous communities – Pataxós
- Relationship with quilombola communities
- Rural Land Development Program (PDRT)
- Satisfaction rate in handling complaints
- Social investments by source (%)
- Social investments by source (R$)
- Social investments by type (%)
- Social investments by type (R$)
- Sustainable Extractivism Program
- Sustainable Settlements Program
- Suzano Education Program
- Total investments in infrastructure and services offered
- Total number of operations, by State
- Total sold by associations
- Total wood stolen (m³)
Management of private social investment
Social and environmental investments and donations are strategic instruments to create value, both for the business and for neighboring communities, and to ensure engagement with stakeholders. Suzano’s various types of social and environmental investments and donations are managed so that their results can be measured and evaluated in terms of contributing to the sustainability of the company’s business and to achieving the long-term goals established. Management of this topic is guided by our Corporate Social and Environmental Investment and Donations Policy, the Social Demand Management Procedure, the Social and Environmental Investment Project Management Procedure and by the Relationship Management Guide. The Guide and procedures describe the processes and the main relationship tools used with stakeholders at Suzano.
The company’s Social Development area monitors and evaluates the entire process related to the demands for cooperation, donation, and sponsorship, periodically reporting the results of this monitoring to the Shared Value Commission (CVC), Corporate and Local (Units). CVC is a forum that brings together managers from the various areas in order to integrate strategic sustainability policies and guidelines in the company’s management and operation.
The registration, evaluation, approval and budget monitoring of all social and environmental investment projects are carried out by the Social and Environmental Investment Management module of Sispart, Suzano’s internal corporate system for managing the relationship with stakeholders and social and environmental investments. The progress of the projects is monitored and evaluated by the technical assistance partners and consultants in the responsible area, through technical visits, meetings, training, and field days with the associations and participants in the projects, according to the schedules established in the Action Plans.
The execution of the Action Plan for each project is monitored with evidence such as photos, reports, attendance lists, and monitoring of indicators. Updating the activities conducted is the responsibility of the entire team of technical assistants and consultants involved. The process and performance indicators of the social projects are monitored periodically by means of Suzano’s internal indicator platform and reported annually in this Indicators Center.
Field activities, working groups, technical visits and other activities performed by the responsible teams, are recorded in an activity report sent monthly to Suzano’s Social Development area. These monthly reports are filed in Sispart.
The efficiency and effectiveness of the relationship strategies and of the social and environmental investments adopted, as well as the use of the material, human and financial resources available, are evaluated through the Social Monitoring and Evaluation System. The system serves for formulation and reformulation of organizational and strategic operation practices (based on the progress of processes and achievement of goals) and for the analysis and comparison of indicators over time (focus on the result and impact of the intervention). The results of the investments are evaluated at least once a year by means of indicators classified into three categories:
- Process Indicators: intended to evaluate the progress of the execution of the physical-financial planning;
- Result Indicators: aims to present the status in achieving the goals established annually;
- Impact Indicators: presents the internal and external effects related to the corporate drivers established.
In addition, based on its Sustainability Strategy, which was developed throughout 2019, by 2030 the company is committed to:
- Lifting 200,000 people out of poverty in our areas of operation.
- Increase the Basic Education Development Index (IDEB) by 40% in all priority municipalities, ensuring an improvement in the quality of basic education in these locations.
In this way, the relationship actions and the planning of the company’s social and environmental investments are guided to ensure, among other objectives, that the results of these goals are achieved.