Ensure local and territorial development in a joint and participatory manner, in partnership with communities, support institutions and social movements, based on education, income generation and cultural appreciation projects; the strengthening of the relationship with local and traditional communities; and the integration of the interests of these different links in running and managing the company.
Sustainable Extractivism Program
The Sustainable Extraction Program is developed at the Unit in the state of Maranhão, where it serves communities that use traditional practices for extracting non-timber forest products in the areas surrounding Suzano’s areas of forestland. The state of Maranhão is a rich territory of biodiversity. It contains transition zones between the Cerrado and Amazon Rainforest biomes, where there are High Conservation Value Areas (HCVA). Through the program and in a controlled manner, registered families access these socially-oriented HCVA within our farms to pick two types of fruit in particular: babassu and açaí, and buriti, bacaba, and yellow mombin to a lesser extent).
The purpose of the program is to support the development of plant extraction and other productive systems of family farming, respecting the social, economic and cultural relations of these groups with traditional traits. To this end, investments are made in infrastructure, training, and technical assistance in the communities, in order to structure management, production, and marketing of the babassu and açaí chain produced by agroextractive families, always respecting the traditional knowledge of these communities.
By building a relationship of mutual responsibility for the conservation of extractive areas, Suzano and the communities are jointly developing best sustainability practices, which ensures the continuity of the production of native fruits and fosters alternatives for income generation in the regions where the company operates. Currently, the program takes place in four municipalities in two Brazilian states: Maranhão and Tocantins, directly benefiting eight associations and 221 families.
Highlights and achievements throughout 2020
- Restructuring of the Nutbreaker Community Council on Estrada do Arroz, in the municipality of Imperatriz (MA).
- Access to alternative markets during the pandemic, with participation in delivery marketing processes.
- Improving the quality of fruit processing.
- Leadership of the organization, management, and marketing processes by young people in the communities.
Construction and execution of the Açaí crop plan to improve control over access to the reserve area and strengthen the association.
- Improve the working conditions of the babassu coconut breakers, especially in the extraction of oil and mesocarp.
- Increase youth participation in extractive processes.
- Diversify the products offered to the consumer market.
- Access to institutional markets.
- Sell babassu oil through ecommerce.
- Structure and qualify the socio-biodiversity chains in the Amazon and formulate strategies to strengthen the bio-economy and seek solutions for the sustainable economic exploitation of biodiversity
- Support processes for the sustainable production and extractivism, for adding value to products, and for marketing, according to local contexts and networks.
- Empower families and associations through training methodologies in the areas of production, extractivism, marketing, and management in order to strengthen sustainable productive chains.
- Promote development and access to fruit processing technologies, mainly of babassu.
- Have young people in leadership positions in the associations.
- Create brand identity and product certifications.
wdt_ID Consolidate project results, by initiative 2019 - Number of communities involved 2019 - Number of participants¹ 2019 - Number of beneficiaries² 2019 - Total revenue generated (R$) 2019 - Average monthly income per family (R$/family) 2020 - Number of communities involved 2020 - Number of participants¹ 2020 - Number of beneficiaries² 2020 - Total revenue generated (R$) 2020 - Average monthly income per family (R$/family) 1 Açaí 1 156 624 2,766,238.72 1,477.69 1 90 90 1,420,810.00 493.34 2 Babaçu³ 7 121 484 n/d - 7 131 131 856,008.00 720.55 3 Total 8 277 1108 2,766,238.72 832.20 8 221 221 2,276,818.00 559.69