Sustainable Cities and Communities
Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
Agente do Bem Program
Related Material Issues
The Agente do Bem Program is a Suzano initiative, in partnership with Childhood Brasil (an institution dedicated to the protection of children and adolescents) and various public agencies and services, NGOs, the civil community, local entities and companies, that seek to engage the community in general so that each person can become a protector of children and adolescents. In 2020, Suzano joined the Business Pact, a Childhood Brasil initiative, with 6 commitments made:
- Improve the working conditions for truck drivers, include this topic in their training, and disseminate good practices.
- Continuously participate in campaigns to eradicate the problem.
- Establish business relationships with suppliers who are committed to the principles of the Pact.
- Communicate and encourage its employees to participate in actions to eliminate the problem.
- Support projects for children and adolescents who are victims of sexual exploitation or who are vulnerable to it, with its own resources and/or with those of the Childhood and Adolescence Fund (FIA), in partnership with governments and/or non-profit organizations.
- Monitor the results of your actions and disclose them to society.
The objectives of the program are:
- Work for the protection of children and adolescents, and the rights of women in the regions where it operates.
- Coordinate the Network for the Defense of Children’s, Adolescents’, and Women’s Rights in the municipalities, through advocacy and public policies on this topic.
- Develop actions for citizen education, approaching the topic in a positive and welcoming manner, with a focus on vulnerabilities and risks, but also on the potential of the public.
- Work with actions to raise awareness on the topics of citizenship, health, family, and the use of drugs and alcohol, both inside and outside Suzano.
Highlights and achievements throughout 2020
- Integration and awareness of 100% of the employees who participated in the General Shutdown at the Três Lagoas (MS) mill through the program.
- Adaptation of the program to a virtual format as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, through new communication and awareness tools for the participants.
- Training of professionals in the assistance network in specialized listening for the cases of sexual violence against children and adolescents.
- Development of the Municipal Plan for Combating Violence against Children and Adolescents in Aracruz (ES).
- Performing a diagnostic of the situation of sexual violence in the municipality of Aracruz (ES).
Our main internal challenges are:
- Expand planning in the industrial and forestry units, and act to prevent and combat the violation of rights in the regions where Suzano operates, specifically contributing to the protection of children, adolescents, and women.
- Guarantee the involvement of the entire value chain in the cause.
- Establish an internal culture for raising awareness and engaging with the cause, connecting to existing movements and to the company’s strategy.
Our main external challenges are:
- Mobilize local leaders to act as protection agents in locations and communities neighboring the company’s operations.
- Create public-private partnerships to develop preventive measures in the territories.
In 2021, we plan to:
- Expand the program’s activities to the company’s direct areas of influence.
- Work for the protection of children and adolescents in the regions where we operate.
wdt_ID Consolidation of project results, by Unit 2020 - Number of municipalities served 2020 - Number of participants 1 Três Lagoas (MS) 1 4,200 2 Aracruz (ES) 1 2,800 3 Total 2 7,000